Saturday, December 8, 2012

What is Trick Art?

What is Trick Art?

Trick Art is a picture which trick your eyes. In French, it is called "Trompe-l'oeil"and it means "trick eyes" in Japanese.
You may think the trick art is very special representation of art. But in fact, it is very familiar. Most of pictures and illustrations that we usually see can be called trick art! First of all, look at
the below illustration.

ball.jpg
There are three orange balls. The left-hand side ball rise into the air. But wait! This picture that you see is a plane projecting on screen, so the balls actually don't exist!

As I have said, pictures and illustrations make unreal things real things using rules of the human'sense of sight and modeling.

Trick art can be classified into 5 types.

1. object that can't exist real world
2.illusion about size and length
3.object that change the form by the difference of the point of view (for example The Pot of Rubin)
4.Painting that are seen pop up fusion from background
5.Painting that moves despite those are just statics images

Of course, you will know what is trick art, but I will introduse some typical trick art.



"The Pot of Rubin", it will be known to many people.
If you think that black is background, you can see white pot.
If you think that white is background, you can see two people who are face to face.














Next one is "Escher waterfall". At first sight, it is ordinary waterfall. But you will notice it is very strange if you follow the flow of water.Yes! You went upstairs unconsciously!


















Look at left picture. Such picture can be regarded a trick art. You can know that trick art is very easy to take and trick art is in hiding in daily life. So don't hesitate to be interested in trick art and don't think that "art" is difficult. It is like a jack-in-the-box.


In this blog, I will introduce so many trick arts.
The reason of why I decided to write about trick art is of course I like trick art and I am interested in trick art. I like trick art and often read(see?) trick art books from childhood. At first, I simply enjoy the surprise of trick art. Beginning, in many cases, trick art is just a picture.But if  I look at the trick art, it shows me various aspects to me. Next, the change of main image is second surprise. For example, in Pot of Rubin, "The heads form the bottom of pot!" However, as time went by my way of enjoying trick art has changed. Of course the surprise is still attracting me. But now, thinking the reason of illusion is my joy. So I will research the reason of illusion and introduce it. "When a brain change the recognition of main image?", "What criteria does a brain use in deciding a main image?", "Why a object that can't exist in 3-D world can exist in 2-D world?". There seems to be no end to my mystery of trick art.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Takuya. This is a really interesting topic. I too enjoy trick art. I have a question for you: What is the trick in the first picture with the orange balls? I didn't understand your explanation and I can't see anything 'tricky' about the picture. Could you explain it more clearly please? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog. I'm sorry for my vague expression. I want to explain basis of trick art by the illustration. The gradation on the balls and the shade under the balls give them a three-dimensional effect. Trick art uses such the human'sense of sight and modeling. A trick art that tricks the human'sense of sight and modeling more is more tricky trick art.

      Delete
  2. Question 1: Why Trick Art is like a jack in the box?
    Question 2: In blog, you said that "Trompe-l'oeil"and it means "trick eyes" in Japanese ",
    and then, where is origin place?
    Question 3: What kind of blog do you like? And, why do you like that?
    Comment: You wrote “trick art is in hiding in daily life.” But Where do the trick art are hidden concretely?
    Comment: I know there is many kind of trick art. Thank you!
    Suggestion: I suggest you should write about source.

    ReplyDelete